Monday, September 19, 2011

Jenna Galatro's First, Last, and Writing Memory


Hello, my name is Jenna Galatro. I am a senior at Montclair State University. My major is Family and Child Studies with a concentration in K-5 Elementary Education. Additionally, I am receiving a certification in English as a Second Language (K-12) and an English Middle school certification. I am excited to be graduating in May, and cannot wait to be a future educator!

As for my first literacy memory, I would have to say I constantly remember the bedtime stories my parents used to read me. As a child, it is so easy at that age to get lost in the magic of a good picture book. Additionally, I remember my high school neighbor used to come over and read books to me and work with me on my reading skills. I believe having that older role model helped reinforce the importance of literacy and fluency in reading.

My last reading memory was when I recently finished the book called "The Noticer" by Andy Andrews. It was a quick and enjoyable read about changing your perspective on life, and realizing that all the small, sometimes frustrating things in life lead us to a future most of us can not imagine awaits us. It definitely gets you excited about life, and all of the great things that lie ahead.

Probably my best literacy experience was in Mrs. Beam's 2nd grade class. We had this 'event' called 'Young Authors' where a selected few students where chosen to create, illustrate, and then publish their books. Sometime throughout the school year we were able to present our books to our families and read aloud to the audience our 'published' books. I remember being extremely proud of myself and excited to share my book to the audience and my parents. It was awesome to see how proud my parents were of me, and it gave me a boost of confidence that all beginner readers could use!

No comments:

Post a Comment