Sunday, November 6, 2011

Daniella Fusaro- Blog #4

Graves

This article focuses on many important literacy aspects such as teaching for transfer and distinguishing between practice and instruction. It gives both students and teachers relevant and essential information that they should know when learning and teaching about literacy instruction. As a college student I found this article to be very beneficial and educational in my experience to become a teacher. It had all of the concepts we discussed not only in this class but on my other education courses as well. I have also noticed that with student teaching and being in the classroom, a lot of these concepts are applied. It now helps to see them up close and personal and actually put into practice rather than just talked about.

I feel that this article was very useful and would recommend it to not only college students but teachers too. The gradual release of responsibility concept was explained in detail and easy to understand with a helpful diagram to go along with it. I will definitely keep this article for future reference because I found it so helpful and advantageous. Graves knows the audience he is writing for and makes sure to use both understandable and relevant language.

3 comments:

  1. Response to Daniella

    I agree that this article is not only relatable and relevant for all future educators, but it was written in a way that made it extremely interesting to read on. As Daniella stated that Graves understands his audience and captures his readers providing them with a plethora of knowledge. It is important to remember the 'teaching for transfer' principle when planning our lesson. Comprehension is the ultimate goal for all teachers when delivering a lesson. However, more importantly we must show students how through mastery of 'transfer' you can apply this skill to other texts and subject areas. In the end we want to hand over the responsibility to our students so they're in control of their learning experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daniella I also found this article to be resourceful as a future educator. Learning in depth about the Gradual Response of Responsibility helps me me create my lesson plans for my classes. I think it is a great method to guide students, but also allow them to develop individually. It is important to model to students, but allowing them to do work on their own can help them model for students who may need help. I also enjoyed learning about teaching for transfer. Teaching for transfer seems to be beneficial for students academically and educationally. Before I read these articles I did not realize all these acts in the classroom that seemed natural had names for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree as well. These concepts are so important when teaching a group of children. Jaimie you talked about these "acts that seem natural" which I really thought was good to bring up because there are some teachers out there who don't use these techniques in their classrooms. The whole point of being a teacher is to eventually have the students be able to complete an assignment by themselves. Gradual release is also important as well but it is interesting to know that some teachers just place it all on the students right away without working through a problem with them, we must be careful not to assume that students know exactly what they are doing right away.

    ReplyDelete